All work and no play….

New instruments, new refridgeration, mast re-rigged, wiring, new sunshades, floors redone, dripless shaft, fuel tank sensor wire replaced, regular maintenance…

There was a lot of days with a lot of work. At the boat show this year you will remember that we purchased new instruments and the refrigeration conversion kit for our ice box. The instruments were first, as the mast was down for service anyway. Was a fairly simple task to install the new windex and cable. As for finding someone to install the instruments this was a challenge all in its self.

I don’t know what others are experiencing with marine services but no one wants to take our money!!!. After a bunch of calls to have someone finalize the install of the instruments and do the final connections…. zip, zero, nada. Ended up calling Raymarine support and they walked me through the entire setup and identified every cable and junction I needed. They were great!

On the mast, we added a new LED anchor light and a new foredeck/steaming light.

The refridgeration install was not that difficult, however, you need to take the time and plan your install and be gentle with the copper tubing. You only have about 3 bends in the copper before it workhardens. The only thing we found is I should have used a larger gauge wire for the power supply. On the deep cycle batteries when the compressor tries to starts the voltage drop is too low and the compressor won’t start. So for now we run on ALL batteries since the starting battery has enough to get it going. Other than that it is working perfect and our 150W solar panel keeps the beer cold.

Now for the outstanding jobs.

Still have the 3 solar vents to install. 2 forward hatches to retrofit. The bow roller still needs to happen. And the new bow pulpit and ladder need to get mounted. Would like lazyjacks and a new sailbag next season to make the mainsail easier to manage.

Top Side:

And this is the Big One…. we are going to strip the top deck down to the original beige gelcoat, do any gelcoat crack repairs and repaint the antislip coating. This came about because the last owners had painted the topside white however over the years it is wearing off and the origional color has shown through. We sanded a small area as a test and it looks great so we have decided to continue. It’s a daunting task but the results will be worth the effort. Last season we rebeaded to salon windows. They are leak free but we are not happy with the overall condition of them. So we will cut new smoked acrylic windows and possibly bolt them in place. Currently they are held in by sealant.

Mechanical work:

Finally got the fuel gauge working. Thank goodness for a good multimeter. Turned out to be just a broken sending wire. Now it’s time to dive into our Diesel.

Our M35 universal is a great motor. It is a hard starter though and I want to get that resolved. I am sure it’s a glow plug issue. The motor starts imediately when it is warm but takes some time first thing in the morning. So new glowplugs and new power wires are on the list. Other than an oil change and new water impeller (preventative maint) she is good to go.

At the end of the day we get a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction from working on Ocean Phoenix as well as sailing her. We purchased her knowing the workload would be high but she is a solid & safe vessel with great performance. The key to our success is Tammy and I work great together and have skills that compliment each other.

Whether its projects or sailing we are a great team!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s